It is with great excitement that the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, Mu Epsilon Omega Chapter announce a new signature program designed to continue improving the lives of high school students in the local community. Under the dynamic leadership of the new President, Dorothy Buckhanan-Wilson, members of Alpha Kappa Alpha will engage in the sorority’s youth enrichment program called ASCEND. ASCEND focuses on Achievement, Self-Awareness, Communication, Engagement, Networking and Developmental Skills. The program has been designed to motivate, engage and assist high school students in reaching their maximum potential – with an emphasis on SMART careers – Science, Math, and Related Technologies. It will provide youth with an opportunity to receive academic enrichment but also life skills training to support their journey to college or vocational employment.
The program will meet once a month beginning September 2016 through May 2017. The sessions will be three hours and will include hands-on activities, enrichment workshops, teambuilding exercises, and much more. With a focus on college preparatory workshops and career/major choices, the sessions will be designed to promote positive self-esteem and confidence by providing study and test preparation skills.
Applicants that meet the following program criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Male or female high school student currently enrolled in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade and in good-standing.
- Applicant must maintain at least a C (2.0) grade point average or better.
If the applicant meets the above criteria then they are invited to complete the application packet which includes the following:
- Application: Student must include most recent report card and a letter of recommendation from a counselor, teacher or community leader.
- Code of Conduct: Applicant must sign and agree to follow the guidelines outlined in the Code of Conduct while participating in the program.
- Parental Consent Form: Applicant must submit a completed parental consent form, signed by their parent/legal guardian and student.
- Personal Statement: Applicant may submit a typed personal statement (not to exceed 500 words) which articulates why he/she wants to join the ASCEND Program.
Applications are due no later than August 22, 2016 and can be returned by mail to Deidra Powell, Program Chairman, P.O. Box 394, Tustin, CA 92781, electronically at email@example.com or provided to a chapter member of Mu Epsilon Omega.
If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please contact the Mu Epsilon Omega Chapter ASCEND Program Committee Chairman at (310) 254-6699 or firstname.lastname@example.org.